Along with the the potential for big rewards, real estate investing comes with significant risk. Fortunately, there are plenty of effective ways of limiting risk in real estate investment. Of course, one of the most important ways is to continuously educate yourself more on the subject. And there are many informative, insightful books for real estate investors that should be part of this ongoing process.
We’ve rounded up some recommendations to help you put together your reading list. The following books for real estate investors have something to offer for everyone, whether you’re just starting out or you’re an experienced investor.
General Books for Real Estate Investors to Read
- Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert. T. Kiyosaki – This classic is more generally about investing in tangible assets, including real estate. Every investor should read it.
- The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller – A look at myths that prevent real estate investors from achieving millionaire status and some proven strategies for getting there.
- Building Wealth One House at a Time by John Schaub – Get insights and strategies from a successful real estate investor with four decades of experience as a home flipper, landlord, and lender.
- ABCs of Real Estate Investing: The Secrets of Finding Hidden Profits Most Investors Miss by Ken McElroy – This is a good general introductory book for real estate investing novices to get familiar with the basic principles and best practices.
- Real Estate Investing Gone Bad by Phil Pustejovsky – Read real-life cautionary tales about the mistakes real estate investors have made—and learn from them.
Books Focused on Specific Areas of Real Estate Investing
- What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow by Frank Gallinelli – This is an in-depth look at the numbers and calculations involved in real estate investing, which are so important to understand.
- The Book on Investing in Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down by Brandon Turner – This book explains a variety of nontraditional financing options and how to profit by using them.
- Rental Property Investing by Brandon Turner – A second Turner title on our list, and it’s a must-read for anyone interested in generating cash flow with rental properties.
- Every Landlord’s Legal Guide by Marcia Stewart, Ralph Warner, and Janet Portman – This is an comprehensive reference guide for anyone who rents property to tenants.
- Mastering the Art of Commercial Real Estate Investing by Doug Marshall – Because commercial real estate investing is very different from its residential counterpart.
- The Book on Flipping Houses: How to Buy, Rehab, and Resell Residential Properties by J. Scott – If you want to reliably earn profits on flipping homes, you want to read this book.
- The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs by J. Scott – Another recommended Scott title providing essential information for home flippers (and it’s helpful for others who buy fixer-uppers).
- Long-Distance Real Estate Investing: How to Buy, Rehab, and Manage Out-of-State Rental Properties by David Greene – These days, it’s easier than ever to invest in non-local real estate; this book has good information about doing it successfully.
- The Book on Tax Strategies for the Savvy Real Estate Investor by Amanda Han and Matthew MacFarland – Two CPAs help you understand tax implications and planning to minimize your tax burden.
- Asset Protection for Real Estate Investors by Clint Coons – This is a helpful, in-depth, easy-to-follow guide to protecting your real estate assets.